This weekend I attended Bootcamp Pittsburgh at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I volunteered to be part of the setup crew which was cool because I got to start meeting people before the event got rolling. Food was provided by WearLocal.
- People are loyal to people, not brands
- Be yourself and let that show through
- People want to do business with people they like
- Branding is a process and takes time
- Choosing the right name is critical
- Get a professional to do your logo – it will pay off in the long run
- Everyone should have a logo
Lunch was generously provided by Guru.com!
- Be yourself, flaws and all
- Be energetic but not forced
- Get feedback from family / friends
- Authenticity is Key!
- Be Consistent
- Take care of your voice
- 2 people are more interesting than one (conversation)
- You can’t please everyone – pick your audience
- Don’t take feedback personally
- Be honest
- Know when to stop talking!
- Have a plan but don’t be restricted by it
The last session I attended focused on Monetization, and was hosted by Lindsey Patross and Gene Bromberg. Good stuff! Spreadshirt has a great model, and Gene showed how to take something you care about and blog about it, and an opportunity might just come along! They also reviewed things like Google AdSense and reviewing blogs.
All in all, it was fun, I learned a lot, and did some good networking! I’m looking forward to Podcamp Pittsburgh in the fall…